I feel like the traditional burger and salad has become old. I crave something that’s fresh and super tasty while not making me feel afterwords like I ate the whole cow. My wife and I have greatly reduced our red meat intake by replacing it with turkey. This recipe is easy to make and tastes great, even for my wife the picky eater! My toddler doesn’t eat the salad but gobbles up the turkey burger and side of beans and corn!
As with any recipe I prepare for dinner, a tasty beverage is always required. While mama is on diaper duty, I made a Vodka half and half which consists of equal parts ice tea and lemonade with a shot of Vodka.
Start preparing the Arugula salad by combining the Arugula, chopped cucumbers and cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, corn and beans. Don’t toss it until you add the vinaigrette once the turkey burgers are ready. That way you aren’t trying to prepare the entire salad while cooking and plating the turkey burgers at the same time.
For the burgers, start by preparing the ground turkey into 4 equal sized patties about a third inch thick. Then cover them with a generous sprinkle of soy sauce and garlic seasoning on both sides. For the garlic seasoning you can use any garlic and herb, garlic salt, season-all, ect. Now its time to fire up that grill!
Heat up the grill on medium heat. I always wipe a little olive oil on the grill with a paper towel as the turkey tends to stick. Slap those burgers on and get them cooking. Unlike ground beef, you want to make sure the turkey is cooked all the way through. On my grill the burgers are done when they get to be slightly charred with grill marks on both sides, or about 8-10 minutes a side. The inside will be white which indicates they are done. During the last few minutes put cheese right on the patties as they cook and put the buns on to toast.
To finish, put the dressing on and toss the salad and stack your burgers with your favorite toppings! This makes 4 servings and costs about 18 – 20 dollars for the ingredients.
Another Satisfied Customer! Keep the remainder of the corn and black beans to serve to the kids if they don’t like the salad or refrigerate for more salad the next day!
- 1/2 bag of Arugula
- 1/3 can of Seasoned Black Beans (4 oz)
- 1/3 can of Sweet Corn (4 oz)
- 1 Cucumber Chopped
- 1/2 Pint of Cherry Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of Sunflower Seeds
- Red Wine Italian Vinaigrette
- 1 lbs Ground Turkey
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients except dressing in large salad bowl
- Once burgers are finished add dressing to salad and toss
- Form 4 equal size burgers from ground turkey
- Generously sprinkle Soy Sauce and Garlic seasoning on each side
- Preheat grill on medium heat
- Cook burgers about 8-10 minutes a side until internal temperature is 165 degrees F
- Add cheese to burgers and buns to grill during last 2 minutes
- Assemble your burgers and toppings and serve!
- Cost of Ingredients 18-20 Dollars
- You can use Garlic Salt, Garlic and Herb Seasoning, or any of your favorites to season the burgers
- Adjust ingredients for the salad according to the portions you like
- Skinning the cucumber for the salad is better but optional